Steam is one of the best tools available for opening pores, softening skin, increasing circulation, and enhancing the benefits of serums and moisturizers. Maybe you’re thinking that all those benefits would only be available at a spa. Well, we’re happy to report that you can create your own mini spa experience with our DIY facial steam recipe.
Facial Steam 101
Before starting, it’s a good rule of thumb to have freshly washed skin to ensure the steam has maximum effect. Also, be sure not to steam for more than 10 minutes! Steaming too long can cause the opposite of the desired effects on your skin!
Customize Your Facial Steam Recipe
Adding essential oils or herb combinations to your facial steam is a wonderful way to enhance the experience and boost the benefits for your skin type. Use our guide below to select the best ingredients for the ultimate steam.
We recommend using a combination of rosemary and chamomile for your steam.
- 1 tablespoon of rosemary herbs, which can be fresh or dried
- A drop of frankincense essential oil
- 1 tablespoon of chamomile flowers (fresh or dried).
Oily/Acne Prone Skin
We recommend using a tea tree and basil steam.
- 3 drops Melaleuca, or tea tree essential oil
- A few fresh basil leaves
Use a geranium and lavender steam.
- 3 drops of geranium essential oil
- 1 tablespoon of lavender (fresh or dried)
DIY Facial Steam Recipe
Let’s start the DYI facial steam process.
- A pot or kettle to boil water
- Heat-safe bowl (ceramic or glass work well)
- Towel (big enough that it can cover your head, shoulders, and the bowl)
- Boil several cups of water
- Add your choice of herbs and oils.
- Transfer mixture to a heat-safe bowl and set it down on a flat countertop.
- Drape the towel over your head and shoulders, and lean over the bowl. Keep your face about 10-18 inches from the steam.
- Breathe deeply and slowly. Enjoy for about 5-10 minutes
- Follow with a mask or serum moisturizer while your skin is damp.
We hope you enjoyed our DIY facial steam recipe, please let us know how your experience went!