A chocolate cake made with... zucchini? That's right. Our secret ingredient to this this totally delicious and not-super-hard-to-make recipe is none other than the ubiquitous summer squash. Zucchini is rich in vitamins and minerals and adds the moist texture to this mouthwatering cake. Such a tempting delight is the perfect treat any time of year. Here's how you make our favorite Chocolate Zucchini Cake:
Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe
Makes 10-12 servings | Adapted from Simply Recipes
- 2 1/2 cups regular all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 1/2 cup natural, unsweetened cocoa
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup oil (vegetable or avocado)
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs (or sub flax eggs)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3 cups coarsely shredded zucchini (comes from about 1 pound of zucchini)
- 1/2 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Powdered sugar for finishing
- Colander or sieve
- Medium bowl
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Bundt pan
- Wire cooling rack
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease pan with cooking spray.
- Shred zucchini and drain in a colander, or a sieve. Press gently to get some of the moisture out. Note, if you have a very dry zucchini, add some water, and then let drain.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place your oil and sugar into a mixer. Beat until smooth.
- Add the eggs to the mix one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- Remove bowl from mixer. Use a wooden spoon to incorporate the vanilla, orange peel, and zucchini. Fold in nuts, if using.
- Pour batter into the pan. Use a rubber spatula to smooth and level the batter.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Let cake cool in pan for 15 minutes before turning out onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Sift powdered sugar over cake
- Serve and enjoy!