We’re committed to doing better, forever.
At Humble, sustainability is a long game. It’s about creating products that improve the quality of our lives while minimizing the negative impact on our environment and our bodies. Synthetic chemicals and other harmful ingredients are part of cheap and convenient manufacturing of personal care products. Moreover, the industry contributes to a staggering amount of air pollution and packaging waste. Our planet deserves better. Our bodies deserve better.
We view sustainability as a practice that applies to every aspect of our business; from the ingredients we use to the products we make, the packaging they're in, our manufacturing, and the workplace environment we create for our team.
Our ingredients are all natural. Never toxic. No harmful chemicals, synthetic fragrance, or color. Our sourcing standards ensure sustainable and ethically sourced materials.
Our packaging is thoughtfully chosen. We use post consumer plastic and recyclable paper. Our products are shipped in recyclable paper pouches or boxes, and we even use paper tape.
Our manufacturing facility and processes are designed with care to always recycle and reuse as much as possible. We often donate materials we cannot use to the community.
Our workplace environment and fair wages are prioritized. Most of our full-time employees have equity in our company, and we are always seeking new ways to foster a joyful and harmonious place where people love to be.
Our local & global community are one of the most important resources we have. We give back profits generously to support those in need. As a member of 1% for the Planet, we donate 1% of our sales to non-profits supporting environmental and humanitarian aid efforts. We are also proud sponsors of initiatives by non-profit organizations like Charity: water, Black Outside Inc., and Conscious Alliance. Learn more about what we're doing.
As the industry evolves and better alternatives emerge, we’re constantly evaluating our practices and exploring options that make sense for the planet, our business, and you. It’s an ongoing process. When it comes to packaging, our top priority is to reduce and eventually eliminate the use of virgin plastic. Learn about the progress we've made:
• When we introduced lip balm in 2020, it was introduced in 32% post-consumer recycled (PCR) packaging. We plan to introduce a fully plastic free container in 2022.
• In 2021, we updated our full-sized deodorant plastic packaging to 75% PCR material. That’s 15% more post-consumer resin than the industry standard. By doing this, we’re preventing more than 4 tons of virgin plastic from entering circulation every month. We continue to look for even more sustainable options for this plastic packaging. Stay tuned for updates.
• We launched Humble bar soap in fall 2021 in a 100% recyclable box made from 100% post-consumer waste.
• In late 2021, we debuted 100% biodegradable, plastic free deodorant in our top 5 scents, made with fully recyclable materials.
• Every Humble order is always shipped in 100% recyclable materials. We use paper tape with water-activated corn starch glue (vs. petrochemical glue-based cellophane tape), and a plant-based ink for all direct-to-consumer shipping. We're expanding this commitment beyond DTC in 2022. We also recycle all cardboard involved in our manufacturing/shipping process biweekly.
Our company was born out of the question, “How can we make and do things better and more simply?” This is the core of our brand mission; to build a new kind of business that puts our health, the planet, and quality on equal footing— often above profit.
We’ve proven we can do more with less. We will continue to make strides to bring you products that are good for you and the planet. If you’re a Humble customer, you’re already helping us further our mission.
We're thrilled to be on this journey, and even happier to have people like you right here by our side.
- Jeff Shardell & the whole Humble team