They said it couldn’t be done. They all said, “A delicious chocolate cake made with Zucchini couldn’t be done.” Well, today we’re going to prove all the naysayers wrong.
This delicious recipe is tested, proven, and not super hard to make. Not to mention it will also be the healthiest cake you’ve ever tried.
Here’s what you’ll need for the cake:
- 2 1/2 cups regular all-purpose flour, ungifted
- 1/2 cup natural, unsweetened cocoa
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup soft butter
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3 cups coarsely shredded zucchini (comes from about 1 pound of zucchini)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Here’s what you’ll need for the glaze:
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
Instructions for the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (I love the first steps of recipes because they are always preheating the oven).
- Shred your zucchini and drain in a colander, or a sieve. Whatever gets the moisture out. Note, if you have a very dry zucchini, add some water, and drain the moisture
- Throw your flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. Now vigorously whisk! Set the mixture to the side.
- Throw your butter and sugar into a mixer, and beat until smooth. Then add the eggs to the mix one at a time, beating well after each egg. Add the vanilla, orange peel, and zucchini, and stir with a wooden spoon.
Photo Credit: Babble